Application Guidelines for GP-Mech (Spring Enrollment, 2022)
1. Number of Accepted Students
The Graduate Program for Integration of Mechanical Systems (GP-Mech) will accept 10 graduate students for the enrollment of April 2022.
2. Qualifications of Application
- Those who are in one of the following graduate schools of Tohoku University at a first-year or second-year of Master’s Program or a first-year of Doctoral Program, as of April 1, 2022.
Graduate School of Engineering
Graduate School of Information Sciences
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
Graduate School of Environmental Studies
- Applicants must have a clear plan for a doctoral research project related to mechanical system integration under international collaborative study, with a recommendation from their current academic supervisor.
- Since the GP-Mech provides integrated education throughout the two-year Master’s Program and three-year Doctoral Program, those who do not intend to go on to the Doctoral Program are not eligible to apply.
- Those who are already enrolled in the Doctoral Program at the time of application are not eligible to apply.
- In addition to this program, it is possible to apply for multiple degree programs. However, if you have passed multiple programs and wish to take them simultaneously, the acceptance of the program(s) is carefully considered depending on the individual case.
3. Application Procedure
- Application period: from Monday, January 31 to Wednesday, February 16, 2022;
9:00 am to 5:00 pm (Excluding Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays)
- The place for the submission of the application documents: Academic Affairs Office of the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Division, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University (Building A02 in Aobayama East Campus)
- The application documents can be sent by a postal mail service. In this case, the materials should arrive by Wednesday, February 16, 2022.
(Use a registered mail service. Indicate “GP-Mech Application Enclosed” in red ink on the envelope. The postal address is shown at the bottom of this guideline.)
4. Application Documents
Applicants should submit the following documents within the application period.
- Application (Form A)
- Statement of Purpose (Form B)
- Recommendation Letter (Form C) from the applicant’s current supervisor (in a sealed envelope)
- Original copy/copies of academic transcript (undergraduate, and graduate if applicable)
- A photocopy of a score sheet of English proficiency tests (TOEFL®, TOEIC®, IELTS, etc.)
- Attach translation in Japanese or English if documents are provided in a language other than Japanese or English. (The applicant may translate the documents.)
- If it is difficult to submit the originals, the GP-Mech Office may accept photocopies or electronic copies of documents. Please consult the office.
- Incomplete application documents will not be accepted.
- Once submitted, application documents will not be returned.
- TOEFL, TOEFL iBT, TOEFL ITP, and TOEIC are registered trademarks of Educational Testing Service (ETS).
5. Selection Method
Applicants will be screened based on the application documents and interview.
- The interview will be conducted during the period from Monday, February 21 to Friday, March 4, 2022.
- The detailed arrangement of the interview will be sent from the office by e-mail.
6. Selection Criteria
See the following page.
7. Result Notification
The selection result will be e-mailed to each applicant by Thursday, March 17, 2022.
8. Financial Support
To attract excellent students from inside and outside of Japan and to develop internationally active postdoctoral human resources, Tohoku University provides financial support to the Program students in the form of a research assistant (RA) salary or overseas study expense aid. Support is also intended to allow the students to plan and engage in independent, creative research projects. The amounts of support will be determined based on the rules of Tohoku University and the guidelines of the program. Please note that the RA salary will only be provided to those who are in the second year of the Master’s Program or in the Doctoral Program.
If currently receiving other financial support, please consult with us.
[Note] The program students are requested to apply for the Research Fellowship for Young Scientists (DC) program of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
9. Program Completion Requirements
To complete this program, students need to satisfy the requirements specific to the GP-Mech in addition to the general degree requirements of their graduate school.
Please refer to the links below for curriculum and degree conferral requirements.
10. Postal Address & Contact Information:
Academic Affairs Office, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Division,
Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University
6-6-01 Aramaki aza Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8579, JAPAN
E-mail: gp-mech (at) grp.tohoku.ac.jp